richardderus

Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud

[REBLOG] The Great Goodreads Censorship Debacle

Reblogged from book reviews forevermore:

I don't want to pollute my blog here with too much GR drama, but I have to say, I'm seriously impressed by the creativity and cleverness of some of the goodreads peeps. I kind of love us.

One of the latest protests involves a new book:

Clouds review:

I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC of this work in progress.

I can't remember the last time a story made me so angry!

Don't get me wrong - this is a good story - lots of great characters, really insightful thoughts and some laugh out loud moments! But overall, this is a tragedy.

The author sets up this virtual 'place', this common ground for book lovers, which you, as a reader, can't help being sucked into. It's like the sense of community reaches right out of the words and gives you a hug! There was a real connection there.

And then, step by step, we watch the stewards for this sacred ground desert their posts, chasing one vice or another. They allow it to fall into the hands of nameless demons in suits, who choke the life out of this once thriving community. It dies, right there in front of you. And then it continues living as a corporate-zombie - a mocking travesty of what it once was and a shameful parody of what it could have become.

Apparently there's a sequel planned too.

This review was about a book, not an author.

*******************************************************

Arthur Graham's review:

Finally, the book we've all been waiting for -- a book for which Goodreads cannot censor your criticism for being "off-topic"!

********************************************************

Manny's review:

My favorite bit was the graphic dream sequence where the naive and grasping Sito is anally raped by the evil Nozama. I am not sure I understand the symbolism; some reviewers argue that the Japanese-sounding names signal an allusion to Mishima, but I cannot help feeling that another interpretation is possible. I am almost sure that some vital clue is staring me in the face.

*******************************************************

my review:

I like to describe this as one of those books that you just feel like you've lived.

Still, I'd recommend avoiding it if you aren't in the mood for some hair-pulling grief.