richardderus

Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud

Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Where'd You Go, Bernadette - Pearl Ruled: [WHERE'D YOU GO, BERNADETTE?] by [[MARIA SEMPLE]]Rating: 1.6* of five (p97)The Book Description: Bernadette Fox is notorious. To her Microsoft-guru husband, she's a fearlessly opinionated partner; to fellow private-school mothers in Seattle, she's a disgrace; to design mavens, she's a revolutionary architect, and to 15-year-old Bee, she is a best friend and, simply, Mom.Then Bernadette disappears. It began when Bee aced her report card and claimed her promised reward: a family trip to Antarctica. But Bernadette's intensifying allergy to Seattle--and people in general--has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands. A trip to the end of the earth is problematic.To find her mother, Bee compiles email messages, official documents, secret correspondence--creating a compulsively readable and touching novel about misplaced genius and a mother and daughter's role in an absurd world. My Review: I do not care where this stupid, whining woman went. I want her to stay there and remain anonymous.Awful. Negative. Condescending to agoraphobics. It's as noxious as Gone Girl, and cloaked in humor instead of viciousness it still makes me mad. Jonathan Franzen liked it, so did Garth Stein and Kate Atkinson. Note to self: When writers whose work you dislike intensely blurb a book, ignore the hype and avoid it.